As I mentioned in one of my previous blog posts, sweet potato is one of my favourite veg out there. I could eat it in all shapes and forms (btw; check out at my Sweet Potato Salad or my Sweet Potato Soup recipes if you haven’t already!)
This is a recipe that I really enjoy making all year round. It’s comforting in the colder months but also super tasty in the summer. It’s simple and takes 35-45 mins to make, so not too long for a tasty and healthy meal. It is also one of my partner’s favourite recipes.
The ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe are:
The first thing you need to do is set your oven to 220 degrees Celcius. Next step is to wash the sweet potato and cut it in half. Cover the top of the potato with 1 Tbsp of olive oil on each half and place onto a baking tray. You can cut the inside of the potato to help the oil penetrate deeper. Bake for 30-40 mins or until it is soft and easy to scoop out.
While the sweet potato is roasting in the oven, we can prepare the rest of our dish. Dice the onion, peel and mince the garlic and half the cherry tomatoes. Boil the kettle and dissolve the vegetable stock in 100ml of hot water. Lastly drain the kidney beans and leave on the side.
In a medium saucepan heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook for 3 mins on medium heat or until translucent. Add cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, lemon juice and bring to boil, finally adding the kidney beans. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
After 30 mins check the sweet potato. You can do so by sticking a knife into the middle of the potato. If the knife slides easily through the potato, then it is cooked. Once the potato is baked and soft, scoop the inside out and add to the kidney bean mixture. I like to grab the potato with a clean oven mitten (it’s very hot) to get a better grip for scooping. Try to keep the skin of the potato intact.
Fill the skin of the baked potato with the kidney bean mixture and top up with grated cheese as desired. Recently, I’ve been enjoying vintage white cheddar on top.
Bake for a final 3-5 mins or until the cheese has melted. Serve with fresh salad on the side.
Baked Sweet Potato
Author Rose Scented Kitchen
- 1 Large sweet potato
- 4 Tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 Pack of cherry tomatoes
- 1 Vegetable stock cube dissolved in 100 ml of water
- ½ Lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Can of kidney beans
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Wash and dry sweet potato. Cut in half and spray the sweet potato with 1 Tbsp of olive oil on each half. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 30-40 mins or until sweet potato is soft and easy to scoop out.
- In the mean time, dice onion, peel and mince garlic and half cherry tomatoes. Dissolve stock in 100ml of hot water. Drain kidney beans.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and cook for 3 mins at medium temperature or until translucent.
- Add cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, lemon juice and bring to boil. Add kidney beans. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the potato is baked, scoop the inside out and add to the kidney bean mixture. Keep the skin intact.
- Fill the skin of the baked potato with the kidney bean mixture and top up with grated cheese, as you wish.
- Bake for 3-5 mins until the cheese has melted. Serve with fresh salad on the side.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @RoseScentedSoul on Instagram